5-6 fresh Plum tomatoes (need about 16-18 slices, ½” thick)
2 T. flour
2 T. butter, softened
4 c. chicken stock
3 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 T. Dijon mustard
18 oz. whole-grain pasta shells
½ (4 ½-oz.) pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 c. shredded fontina cheese
10 T. freshly grated parmesan cheese
Ground black pepper
1. Remove top oven rack and cover with heavy duty foil, spray with PAM. Place broiler on HIGH.
2. Arrange tomato slices on prepared rack. Spray tomatoes with PAM.
3. Broil 8-10 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly browned.
4. Transfer tomatoes to a plate and set aside.
5. Combine flour and butter in bowl to make a paste.
6. Place a large high-sided oven-proof saute pan over medium heat.
7. Add stock, 2 c. milk, salt and mustard, stirring with a whisk.
8. Add pasta to pan, bring to boil.
9. Cook 10-12 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring frequently.
10. Stir in remaining 1 c. milk and artichokes, cook 2-3 minutes.
11. Add butter-flour paste, in pieces, stirring constantly to blend and thicken.
12. Remove from heat, stir in cheddar, fontina and 6 T. of parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
13. Arrange the broiled tomatoes slices on top of pasta.
14. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
15. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.