PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
WONDERFUL HERB-ENHANCED BAKED CORNISH HENS
6 Cornish hens, rinsed and patted dry, seasoned inside and outside with kosher salt, red/black pepper
1 red apple, cored and cut into 6 wedges
12 slices thick hickory smoked bacon, cut in half
6 pats of butter
12 fresh sprigs of sage
12 fresh sprigs of thyme
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. white wine
1 (16-oz.) container chopped onion mix
2-3 medium green bell peppers, cut into chunks
3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
12 of the mini multi colored peppers, cut into rings
3 T. minced garlic
1 (8-oz.) fresh sliced mushrooms
- Take ½ of each bacon and wrap around the pat of butter, wedge of apple, sprig of thyme and sprig of sage. Stuff inside cavity of hens.
- In bottom of large roasting pan, spray with PAM.
- Place the chopped onion, bell peppers, celery, mini peppers, mushrooms and garlic in bottom of roasting pan.
- Season the veggies with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix well.
- Add the broth and wine and mix again.
- Place the hens breast side down into the roasting pan on top of veggies.
- Drizzle with olive oil over the hens.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- With remaining bacon pieces, make an “X” on top of each hen.
- Cover with heavy duty foil and place in 350 oven for 1 ½-2 hours.
- Remove foil and cook another 30 minutes.
- Kick temp of oven to 400 and place a sprig of thyme and sage on top of each hen and bake another 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- If you want the gravy to be thickened, remove the hens and thicken gravy with cornstarch dissolved in water or use Wondra.
- Serve the gravy with the hens.