PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
UNIQUE SAVORY TOMATO COBBLER
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 large fresh tomato, chopped
3 T. minced garlic
3 lbs. assorted small tomatoes, divided
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. cornstarch
Kosher salt/black pepper
1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 ½ c. self-rising soft-wheat flour (Brand like White Lily)
½ c. stone-ground yellow cornmeal
½ t. baking powder
½ c. cold butter, cut into ¼” thick pieces
1 c. freshly shredded jarisberg cheese
¼ c. chopped fresh basil
3 T. chopped fresh chives
1 ¼ c. buttermilk
- Preheat oven 375.
- In large skillet, drizzle oil to cover bottom and place over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until tender.
- Add chopped tomato, garlic and 1 ½ c. small tomatoes and saute until tomatoes are softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, cornstarch, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Place the remaining small tomatoes into a 13×9” baking dish.
- Spoon mixture over tomatoes and gently toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal and baking powder in large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour with pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- Stir cheese, basil and chives into cold flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Dollop mixture by ½ cupfuls onto tomato mixture (do not spread).
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.