REFRESHING WATERMELON RUM PUNCH3 lb. fresh watermelon8 oz. white rum6-8 T. fresh lime juice¼ c.…
TOMATO AND SUMMER SQUASH RISOTTO
6 large fresh Creole tomatoes or other flavorful varieties
3 T. minced garlic, more if needed
1 bunch basil leaves, roughly chopped
½ c. cold butter
¼ c. minced Vidalia onion
¼ c. Arborio rice
½ c. white wine
4 c. vegetable broth
1 c. zucchini, yellow squash (mixed), cut into small dice (reserve the ends)
½ c. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
½ c. of the Tomato Puree
Kosher salt/black pepper
Fresh Basil leaves, garnish
- Preheat oven 325. Core tomatoes, cut in half and lay cut side up on a baking sheet that has a wire rack placed in it.
- Season the tomatoes with the salt, sprinkle with the minced garlic and chopped basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove tomatoes from oven. Discard basil. Puree tomatoes in food processor. This makes about 1 c. but you will only need ½ c. Use the remains for other recipes.
- Melt 2 T. butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook slowly, until tender.
- In another saucepan, heat the broth and keep it on a simmer. You can place the squash ends and basil stems in the broth to enhance flavor, optional.
- Add the rice to butter/onion mixture. Toast, stirring constantly. Do not let rice burn. When rice is toasted, add the wine and cook until all wine is reduced.
- Set a timer to 16 minutes. Start adding stock a ladle at a time, just covering the rice. Repeat, adding more stock, each time liquid is absorbed into rice. Continue to stir after each addition of stock to the rice.
- At the halfway mark (8-minutes), add half of the squash mixture.
- Continue cooking for the final 8 minutes, while adding remaining stock.
- Dice the cold butter. When timer goes off, let rice rest for 30 seconds.
- Finish by adding the cheese, tomato puree and butter.
- Stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. Consistency should be creamy and spread slowly on a plate. If too thick just add some warm stock.
- Garnish with basil.
*You can use just zucchini or yellow squash or basically any veggie you might like.