1 large red onion, chopped
½ c. chopped celery
½ c. shredded carrots
1-2 T. minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 T. minced garlic
4 c. chicken broth
1 (15-oz.) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, do not drain
12-16 oz. peeled medium shrimp, lightly seasoned
¼ c. fresh lime juice
Salt, black pepper, to taste
½ c. lightly crushed baked tortilla chips
1 c. diced avocado
Fresh cilantro leaves, garnish
Grated Monterey Jack Cheese, garnish, optional
1. Heat a large Dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil to lightly coat the bottom.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots, chile, cumin, chili powder and garlic. Cook until veggies are tender but still crispy. Stir constantly.
3. Add broth, hominy and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add seasoned shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
6. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Ladle into bowls and top with chips, avocado, cilantro and cheese.