SOPHISTICATED CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS1 ¼ c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies1 c. powdered sugar2/3 c. toasted…
SPICY SHRIMP AND AVOCADO TORTILLA SOUP
1 large red onion, chopped
½ c. chopped celery
½ c. shredded carrots
1-2 T. minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 T. minced garlic
4 c. chicken broth
1 (15-oz.) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, do not drain
12-16 oz. peeled medium shrimp, lightly seasoned
¼ c. fresh lime juice
Salt, black pepper, to taste
½ c. lightly crushed baked tortilla chips
1 c. diced avocado
Fresh cilantro leaves, garnish
Grated Monterey Jack Cheese, garnish, optional
- Heat a large Dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, chile, cumin, chili powder and garlic. Cook until veggies are tender but still crispy. Stir constantly.
- Add broth, hominy and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add seasoned shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with chips, avocado, cilantro and cheese.