WALKING ZOMBIE COCKTAIL1 oz. apricot brandy1 oz. light rum1 oz. dark rum1 oz. lime juice2…
NO FUSS BISCUIT-TOPPED CHICKEN POT PIES
2 ½ c. chicken stock
3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 medium Yukon God potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 T. butter
1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 (8-oz.) carton cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
2 t. chopped fresh thyme
5 T. plus 2 c. flour
1 c. milk
½ t. freshly grated nutmeg
Salt, black pepper to taste
1 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 ½ c. chopped cooked chicken (both dark and white meat)
½ c. frozen green peas
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
5 T. cold butter, cubed
½ c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 T. minced fresh sage
½ c. plus 2 T. well-shaken buttermilk
1 egg yolk plus 1 T. milk (egg wash0
- In saucepan over high heat, bring stock to boil.
- Add carrots, potatoes and celery. Lower heat to medium and cook until veggies are tender.
- Drain veggies, reserving stock. Set both aside, separately.
- In large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook until golden.
- Add mushrooms, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and 5 T. flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until combined, then add stock and cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens, 8-10 minutes.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley, chicken, cooked veggies and peas. Divide filling evenly among 6-8 oven proof containers (8-10 oz. each), leaving the top ¼” unfilled.
- Preheat oven 425.
- BISCUIT TOPPING: Sift 2 c. flour with baking powder, baking soda and 1 t. salt.
- Using pastry cutter, work in cold butter to form a coarse meal, working quickly to keep butter from warming up and melting into the dough.
- Stir in cheese and sage.
- In separate bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk and add to flour mixture, stirring gently until a shaggy dough forms.
- Lightly flour a counter, a rolling pin and your hands. Divide dough into 2 balls.
- Roll out first ball to ¼” thickness, then use a 2 ½” biscuit cutter to cut into rounds, scraping and rerolling dough as needed. Repeat with second ball.
- Place 3 rounds of dough on each pot pie, overlapping as necessary.
- Brush dough with egg wash, put pot pies on cookie sheet lined with foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 15-25 minutes.
*Any unused rounds can be baked on their own as biscuits.