SURPRISINGLY REFRESHING FROZEN HOT CHOCOLATE1 c. milk½ c. heavy cream½ c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder½…
MOLASSES WHIPPED CREAM TOPPED SWEET POTATO PIE
2 store-bought pie crusts
3 lbs. sweet potatoes
1 ¼ c. sugar
2 T. flour
¼ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground ginger
½ t. ground nutmeg
¼ t. ground cloves
¼ c. molasses or pure cane syrup
1/3 c. cold butter, chopped into small pieces
1 T. water
2 T. sugar
MOLASSES WHIPPED CREAM:
1 c. cold whipping cream or heavy cream
2 T. molasses or pure can syrup
½ t. vanilla
- MOLASSES WHIPPED CREAM: Using chilled beaters and large chilled bowl, beat cream with electric mixer on HIGH until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add molasses and beat until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla, beat another minute. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- SWEET POTATO FILLING: Place whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes in large pot with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to rolling boil, then reduce heat to medium for a gentle boil.
- Cook until tender but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes.
- Stir together sugar, flour, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in small bowl.
- Drain potatoes, transfer to platter to cool. Peel and trim and discard any fibers.
- Cut potatoes into ¼” thick rounds (will need about 4 c.)
- Gently toss potatoes with spice mixture.
- Preheat oven 350.
- Place one piecrust into pie place and layer with filling. Add additional filling to center, building it up a little higher than outer edges.
- Sprinkle all remaining spice mixture in bowl over top of pie. Drizzle with molasses or syrup and dot with butter pieces.
- Place the 10” remaining pie crust over filling. Fold edges of bottom crust up and over edges of top crust and press firmly to seal.
- Using fork tines, press dough around edges to make a design. With sharp knife, cut 8 slits in top piecrust for steam to escape.
- Prepare EGG WASH: Stir together egg and water in small bowl. Using pastry brush, brush mixture over piecrust. Sprinkle with sugar. Place pie on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven until crust is browned, filling is bubbly and potatoes are tender all the way, about 1 hour.
- Transfer pie to wire rack, cool to room temp. Serve with MOLASSES WHIPPED CREAM.