REFRESHING FROZEN LEMONADE1/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice1/3 c. sugar1 c. water½ c. ice cubes4…
Instant Pot Lamb Shanks
INSTANT POT LAMB SHANKS
2 T. olive oil
2 T. tomato paste
1 t. paprika
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. cumin seeds
1 t. Kosher salt
1 t. black pepper
2 T. olive oil
3 lamb shanks, trimmed of excess fat
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
3 mild chilis, diced
2 T. minced garlic
1 c. dry red wine
1 stalk cinnamon
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 c. chicken broth
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. water
- MARINADE: In large bowl, whisk all marinade ingredients to form a paste-like. Add the shanks to bowl and coat with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed (I like overnight, let come to room temp at least 1 hour before preparing dish.)
- LAMB SHANKS: On INSTANT POT press SAUTE twice to choose medium setting and heat olive oil. The screen will show HOT message. Add the shanks holding from the bone and meat side down to sear. Start moving them around until browned on all sides. If pot is overcrowded, work in batches and add more oil.
- Transfer shanks to plate and tent with foil and set aside.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, chili and garlic until softened, 5-6 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Add red wine and let it cook down a bit on SAUTE MODE.
- Put shanks back in pot. Add cinnamon stick, fresh herbs and bay leaves.
- Add leftover marinade if any is left in bowl, followed by broth. Add the stock to the side of pot so it doesn’t wash away seasonings from shanks.
- Secure lid and set the vent to SEALING. Select the PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL setting and set cooking time to 60 minutes at high pressure. The INSTANT POT will take around 10-12 minutes to come to pressure and start cooking. When cooking program ends, allow steam to release naturally.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer shanks to plate and tent to keep warm.
- GRAVY: Using a MESH STRAINER, strain the sauce from pot into a bowl pressing to extract all sauces and flavors, then put sauce back in the pot. PRESS SAUTE, WHEN IT SSTARTS SIMMERING ADD CORNSTARCH SLURRY. Whisk until gravy is rich, silky and glossy. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve over shanks and serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
*If you would like to use the veggies that you strained, you can blend them with the sauce until smooth. The gravy won’t be super smooth but will still taste great.