REFRESHING FROZEN LEMONADE1/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice1/3 c. sugar1 c. water½ c. ice cubes4…
Good Ole New Orleans Beignets
GOOD OLE NEW ORLEANS BEIGNETS
¼ c. warm water (105-110 degrees)
1 t. active dry yeast
3 T. plus 1 t. sugar, divided
2 T. vegetable shortening
½ t. salt
½ c. boiling water
½ c. evaporated milk
1 large egg
4-5 c. all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 c. powdered sugar
- In small bowl, combine ¼ c. warm water, yeast and 1 t. sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat remaining 3 T. sugar, shortening and salt with mixer until smooth.
- Add ½ c. boiling water and milk, beating until combined.
- Add egg, beating until smooth.
- Stir in yeast mixture.
- Gradually add 3 c. flour, beating until smooth. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- On lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead 6-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼” thickness.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 12 (3”) squares. Do not reroll dough.
- In large Dutch oven, pour oil to 3” deep. Heat to 350.
- Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently during frying.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sift powdered sugar over hot beignets. Serve hot.