FANCY PARMESAN CARROTS WITH LEMON-PARSLEY DRESSING½ c. water¼ c. chopped shallots1 lb. medium carrots, cut…
ELEGANT RED VELVET ROULADE
4 eggs, room temp and separated
1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 c. flour
¼ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
½ t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
3 ½ T. whole buttermilk, room temp
1 (1-oz.) bottle red liquid food coloring
1 ½ t. vanilla
1 t. expresso powder
½ c. sugar
½ c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter, softened
¼ t. salt
3 ½ c. powdered sugar
4 T. whole buttermilk
½ t. peppermint extract
Crushed peppermint candies, garnish
- Preheat oven 375. Spray 14 1/2×9 ½” jelly roll pan with baking spray with flour.
- Line pan with parchment paper and spray the paper as well.
- In bowl of standard mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat yolks for 3 minutes at medium.
- Add brown sugar and beat until mixture is thick and pale and falls in ribbons, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a large bowl.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Whisk in salt and set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and expresso powder until well combined and espresso granules dissolve.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, folding jut until combined after each addition.
- Clean bowl of standard mixer. Using whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy.
- On medium speed, add sugar in slow, steady stream, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until medium stiff peaks form.
- Fold in egg whites into batter in three additions until no streaks remain.
- Quickly spread batter into prepared pan. Gently shake pan a few times to evenly spread batter. Do not overwork batter or it will deflate.