PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
CREAMY KALE GRATIN
2 T. Kosher salt, more if needed
6 T. butter, plus for baking dish
½ c. chopped Vidalia onion
2 whole cloves
¼ c. flour
2 c. whole milk
1 ½ lbs. kale, rough chop
½ c. plus 2 T. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
½ t. grated fresh nutmeg
Fresh ground black pepper
- Bring 8 qts. of water to boil with the 2 T. salt. Set up an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven 375.
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onion and cloves and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until light golden brown.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking frequently, for another 5 minutes. Remove cloves.
- Add kale to boiling water and cook until just wilted and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to ice bath to cool for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Roll up kale in kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Finely chop kale.
- Add to the warm sauce.
- Add ½ c. of cheese and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into buttered gratin dish.
- Top with remaining 2 T. cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.