PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
EASY PAN-SEARED STEAKS WITH TOMATOES AND ONIONS
2 boneless rib-eye steaks (about 12 oz. each and 1” thick, trimmed of excess fat
Salt, black pepper
¼ c. Butter
¼ c. Olive oil
2 large Vidalia onions, halved and thinly sliced
½ c. dry red wine
2 c. cherry tomatoes
Red pepper flakes, how much you like
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels and season both sides.
- In large cast iron skillet, place over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil.
- Add onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent but not browned, 10 minutes.
- Transfer onions to plate with slotted spoon. If not much fat in pan add another T. of butter and oil.
- Put steaks in pan and sear until deeply browned on both sides and medium rare, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to cutting board and cover to keep warm.
- Pour wine into pan. As it comes to boil, deglaze pan juices by scraping bottom of pan well with wooden spoon.
- Simmer until reduces to about 3-4 T.
- Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Slice steaks and add to pan with the reserved onions.
- Simmer just until heated through and garnish with basil.