ALICE’S SEAFOOD CHOWDER3 sticks butter¼ c. minced garlic2 large onions, chopped2 green bell peppers, chopped4-6…
CLASSIC COMFORT CHICKEN POT PIE IN A SKILLET
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. flour
1 ½ c. chicken broth
1 ½ c. milk
1 t. Creole seasoning
2 T. butter
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
1 (8-oz.) pkg. sliced mushrooms
4 c. shredded cooked chicken
2 c. frozen cubed hash browns
1 c. matchstick carrots
1 c. frozen small green sweet peas
1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 (14.1 oz.) pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white
- FILLING: Preheat oven 350. Melt 1/3 c. butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add broth and milk, cook, whisking constantly, 5-7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, stir in Creole seasoning. Taste if need more.
- Melt 2 T. butter in large Dutch oven and add onion and mushrooms and saute 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chicken, hash browns, carrots, peas and parsley. Mix well and add sauce. Stir and taste for seasoning.
- CRUST: Place 1 pie crust in lightly greased 10” cast-iron skillet.
- Spoon chicken mixture over pie crust and top with remaining pie crust.
- Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of pie crust with egg white.
- Cut 4-5 slits in top of pie for steam to escape.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and bubbly.
*Let set for 3-5 minutes before cutting. Can be frozen before or after baking. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator and then proceed to reheat or bake it.