BREAD PUDDING MUG CAKE
1 large egg
¼ c. sugar
1 c. milk
½ t. vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 ½ c. stale bread (any bread, but the richer the bread the better—French baguette, sandwich bread, croissants, Danish or donuts)
1. In medium bowl, whisk together egg and sugar with fork.
2. Stir in milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
3. Add the bread cubes and toss so they are coated evenly with custard.
4. If time allows, set aside the mixture to soak for 10-20 minutes.
5. Divide mixture between two large mugs.
6. Pack the mixture in so that there is very little air between the bread cubes.
7. Microwave separately for 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes each until the custard is absorbed and the pudding is firm.
*****Topping ideas: whipped cream, cinnamon-sugar or fresh fruit.
1. Richer, replace milk with heavy cream.
2. Add ½ c. sautéed apples to bread and custard mixture.
3. Combine ½ c. raisins with 2 T. rum and 2 T. water. Microwave for 30 seconds to warm. Set aside at room temperature for 10-20 minutes, then add to bread and custard mixture.
4. Add ½ c. fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries or blueberries to bread and custard mixture.
5. Omit sugar and add cheese. Switch up bread. Use rye, pumpernickel, multigrain or olive bread. Add savory garnishes like roasted peppers, sautéed mushrooms, onions or pesto.