2 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
¼ c. light brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
½ t. pumpkin pie spice
1 c. mashed yams or sweet potatoes
4 eggs, room temp
1 ½ c. buttermilk
¼ c. honey
1 stick, butter, melted
1. Preheat oven 375.
2. In large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together the yams, eggs, buttermilk, honey and butter.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry, stir until just combined.
5. Pour batter into cast iron skillet.
6. Using a spatula to smooth to an even layer if needed.
7. Place in oven and bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
8. Serve the cornbread from the skillet.
*****Sometimes a nice drizzle of honey on top makes it so extra special and sweet.