1 poblano pepper
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 celery ribs, chopped
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 T. minced garlic
2 ½ lbs. firm green tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
6 c. chicken broth
2 bay leaves
Salt, black pepper
3 c. loosely packed fresh arugula
14 fresh basil leaves
½ bunch fresh cilantro or parsley, stems removed
3 T. fresh lemon juice
Tabasco to taste
LUMP CRABMEAT SALAD:
8 ozs. Fresh lump crabmeat
2 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. chopped fresh basil
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
Sea salt, black pepper
1. SOUP: Preheat broiler with oven rack 6” from heat. Cut poblano peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds. Broil, skin sides up on foil lined baking sheet, 2-3 minutes on each side or until blistered. Place peppers in zip-lock plastic bag, seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel pepper halves and chop.
2. Melt butter with oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, add onions, stir often and cook 15 minutes.
3. Add celery, jalapeno peppers and chopped poblano pepper. Cook, stir often for 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic, stir and cook 2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, broth and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce to low and simmer, stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves.
7. Stir in arugula, basil and cilantro or parsley. Let cool 30 minutes.
8. With hand-held immersion blender, process soup until smooth.
9. Stir in lemon juice and Tabasco. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Cover and chill overnight.
11. Ladle chilled soup into serving bowls and top each with 2-3 T. of the LUMP CRABMEAT SALAD.
12. LUMP CRABMEAT SALAD: Stir together crabmeat, olive oil, lime juice, basil, cilantro and jalapeno peppers. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Refrigerate overnight. Will keep for 2-3 days.