GREAT ITALIAN CHRISTMAS COOKIESCOOKIE:2/3 c. sugar1 stick butter, softened2 t. vanilla¾ t. almond extract3 eggs2…
UNIQUE PEANUT BUTTER CRISPY BARS
CRISPY CRUST LAYER:
1 ¾ c. crispy rice cereal
¼ c. sugar
3 T. light corn syrup
3 T. butter, melted
MILK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER LAYER:
5 oz. good-quality milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 c. creamy peanut butter
3 ozs. dark chocolate (60-75% cacao) coarsely chopped
½ t. light corn syrup
4 T. butter
- CRISPY CRUST LAYER: Put cereal in large bowl and set aside. Lightly spray paper towel with PAM and but bottom and sides of 8” square baking pan.
- In small saucepan, pour ¼ c. water. Gently add sugar and syrup (do not let them touch the sides of pan). Using wooden spoon to stir mixture until just combined. Put a candy thermometer in saucepan. Cook over medium heat and bring to boil. Cook to soft-ball stage. Remove from heat and stir in butter and pour mixture over cereal.
- Working quickly, stir until cereal is thoroughly coated and pour into prepared pan.
- With hands, press mixture into bottom of pan, not up sides. Let crust cool to room temp while you do next layer.
- MILK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER LAYER: In large metal bowl, stir together the chocolate and peanut butter. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water and cook, stir with rubber spatula, until smooth. Remove bowl from pan and stir for another 30 seconds to cool slightly.
- Pour mixture over the cooled CRLISPY CRUST LAYER. Put pan in refrigerator until top layer hardens.
- CHOCOLATE ICING: In large metal bowl, combine chocolate, syrup and butter. Set bowl over simmering water and cook, stir with rubber spatula, until completely smooth.
- Remove bowl from pan and stir another 30 seconds. Pour over the chilled MILK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER LAYER and spread evenly.
- Put pan back in refrigerator until topping hardens.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve. Store bars in refrigerator, covered tightly.