PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
SPICY KALE WITH BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS
Kosher salt, black pepper
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 T. olive oil
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 c. large-diced peeled fresh carrots
1 jalapeno, sliced into rings
5 garlic cloves, sliced
1 ½ c. dry white wine
1 (12-oz.) can crushed good quality tomatoes (San Marzano, excellent brand)
2 dried bay leaves
2 lbs. fresh kale, roughly chopped
½-1 c. panko bread crumbs
Zest of 2 lemons
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Liberally salt chicken the day before, wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Allow chicken to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Pat chicken dry.
- Preheat oven 375.
- In large Dutch oven, heat 2 T. olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and cook until well browned, 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side the same. Remove chicken from pot and set aside on a plate.
- Add onions and pinch of salt to pot and cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots, jalapeno and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and scrape up the browned bits on bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until wine is reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves. Simmer.
- Adjust seasoning buy adding pepper and more salt if needed.
- Add kale. Cover pot and cook 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir.
- Put in thighs on top of kale, put lid back and put in oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs, zest, parsley and olive oil.
- Remove chicken from oven. Discard bay leaves. Top chicken with bread crumb mixture.
- Serve family style from the pot.