SILMPLE TOMATO PIE
1 pie crust (home-made or store bought)
Flour, for dusting
3 lbs. medium fresh tomatoes
½ c. Miracle Whip or mayo
1 egg, plus 1 yolk
Tabasco to taste
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ c. crumble blue cheese
3 green onions, chopped
3 T. chopped fresh parsley
3 T. chopped fresh dill
1 ½ T. yellow cornmeal
Fresh herbs for garnish (dill, parsley or chives)
- Keep pie crust in refrigerator for 1 hour or freezer for 30 minutes.
- Slice tomatoes into ¼” thick slices.
- With fingers, try to push out as many watery tomato seeds as you can.
- Lay slices on paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with salt and let set for 30 minutes. Pat dry.
- Whisk together mayo, egg, yolk, Tabasco. Stir in cheeses, green onions, parsley, dill and black pepper.
- Preheat oven 425. Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of pie crust.
- Pat tomato slices dry again, place 13 of tomatoes in bottom of crust, overlapping slightly to fit.
- Top with ½ of mayo mixture. Repeat another layer of tomatoes and another layer of mayo mixture.
- Place remaining tomatoes on top, pressing the last layer gently into mayo mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and wrap just the edges of crust with foil.
- Reduce oven to 375. And bake until mixture is puffed and golden brown and center is no longer wobbly, 30 minutes or more.
- Let cool 1-2 hours.
- Top with additional herb garnishes.