TASTY GALETTE DE TOMATE2 ½ c. flour1 T. sugarSalt/black pepper1 c. cold butter, cut into…
½ lb. good quality bacon, chopped
2 c. finely chopped Vidalia onions
¼ c. minced garlic
6 T. flour
1 quart fresh oysters, drained (save liquor)
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 T. chopped fresh sage
1 T. chopped fresh thyme
¼ c. minced fresh parsley
¼ c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Kosher salt, red/black pepper
24 (3” round) frozen puff pastry shells, cooked according to package directions, reserve pastry tops
Chopped green onion, garnish
1. In large skillet, add bacon over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Transfer drippings to a measuring cup.
2. In same skillet, add ½ c. bacon drippings (if you do not have enough, add butter to make the ½ c.), over medium heat.
3. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring often until onion is lightly browned.
4. Add flour, cook, whisking constantly, until roux is tan.
5. Whisk in 2 c. of oyster liquor (if not enough to make 2 c. add chicken broth), cream, sage and thyme.
6. Bring to boil over high heat, whisking constantly and scraping bottom and sides of skillet.
7. Add oysters, bacon, parsley, and cheese. Season with salt, red/black pepper to taste.
8. Remove from heat and fill shells with oyster mixture, and add pastry top, garnish with green onion. Serve warm.
*****If you are doing a party and serving as an appetizer, place the oyster mixture in a chafing dish or crock pot and place shells on side (in a bread warmer, if possible) and let guests fix their own patty.