PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
Roasted Tomatoes for Soup
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3-4 lbs. of fresh tomatoes (I use a variety: Creole, Plum, cherry, etc.)
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 sliced Vidalia onions
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder
- 1 c. or more of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 qt. Fat free chicken stock or broth or the Veggie broth (for vegetarian version)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 T. butter
- 1 c. chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
- 3 c. heavy cream or skim milk, optional
- Greek yogurt or crème fraiche
- Preheat oven 450. Wash, core and cut tomatoes into large pieces.
- Spread tomatoes, garlic and onions onto baking sheet or pan.
- Season with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Drizzle with olive oil until all are coated. Take hands and mix well.
- Roast in oven for 1 hour or until caramelized.
- Remove from oven and transfer to large stock pot.
- Add the chicken stock or broth, bay leaves and butter.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by ⅓.
- Wash and dry basil leaves, add to pot, optional.
- Remove bay leaves and use hand immersion blender and puree until smooth. If you have to use food processor, you will have to strain pot and then process the bulky part and return to pot.
- At this point, you can put it on simmer and add the milk, optional. Season to taste.
*****I find this soup really good without adding the milk. Garnish with basil leaf on top of a dollop of greek yogurt or crème fraiche. Add a nice grilled cheese/ham sandwich and you have a winner, I guarantee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great way to use over supply of fresh tomatoes. Soup freezes very well.