3 lbs. fresh yams
1 lb. carrots
Salt, red/black pepper to taste
2 T. butter
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
3 T. minced garlic
6-8 fresh sage leaves
1 bay leaf
6 c. chicken stock, or as needed
2 T. orange juice
½ c. coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
4 green onions, thinly sliced
6 T. olive oil
1. Preheat oven 300.
2. Peel yams and carrots and cut into ½”cubes (keeping them separate).
3. Toss each with olive oil to coat them and season.
4. Spread each on a separate baking pan and roast, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour.
5. Increase heat to 400 and finish roasting until soft and beginning to brown on edges. Carrots take longer. Remove from oven and set aside.
6. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
7. Add onion, sage and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 minutes.
8. Do not brown.
9. Add the roasted yams, carrots, stock and orange juice and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until everything is very soft, 10-15 minutes.
10. Pick out and discard sage and bay leaf.
11. With hand held immersion blender, blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
12. Mix the roasted peanuts, green onions and 6 T. olive oil. Add a dollop to top of each bowl of soup.