NINJA TURTLE SOUP
NINJA TURTLE SOUP
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 ½-2 lbs. of turtle meat
- Salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder
- 6-8 c. water
- 1 stick butter
- ½ c. flour
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3 T. minced garlic
- 2 c. chopped fresh tomatoes (or you can use 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes)
- ½ c. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ c. fresh lemon juice
- ½ c. sherry, or more
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 6-8 boiled eggs, chopped (save some for garnish)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- Place the turtle meat in a large enough pot that when you put the water, it will cover the meat. Add about 2 t. salt and 1 t. red pepper to water. Bring to boil.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- With slotted spoon transfer meat to a platter.
- Cut meat into ½” diced cubes. Reserve the liquid.
- In another large sauce pan, combine the butter and flour and stir constantly until you achieve a dark roux.
- Add the onions, shallots, bell peppers and celery. Cook until veggies are tender.
- Add bay leaves and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and meat. Stirring occasionally, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire, about 6-8 c. of the stock, lemon juice and sherry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add parsley, green onions and eggs. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with parsley and additional chopped egg.
- When serving, place sherry on the side for guests to add more if they like.
*****This is one of those dishes I probably would not prepare. I think men like to do this dish. I just enjoy the end product. There are many variations to this dish.