SOPHISTICATED CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS1 ¼ c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies1 c. powdered sugar2/3 c. toasted…
MR. PAT’S FAMOUS SMOTHERED RABBIT
3 rabbits, cut into quarters, seasoned with red and black pepper, salt, garlic powder
Whole garlic cloves, enough to stuff each leg
2 sticks oleo
1 (16-oz.) container of chopped onion mix
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (8-oz.) carton sliced mushrooms
Good quality cane syrup
1 (6-oz.) can mushroom steak sauce
2-3 T. minced garlic
Chopped green onions, garnish
Salt, red/black pepper
- Cut rabbits into quarters. Stuff the legs with whole garlic cloves. Season all the rabbits with salt, red/black pepper and garlic powder.
- Melt the oleo in large Dutch oven pot.
- Brown the rabbits until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove rabbits and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess grease in pot.
- Place pot back over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and bell peppers and saute until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and mushrooms and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add the mushroom steak sauce and blend in.
- Drizzle cane syrup all over the onion mixture in pot and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rabbits back.
- Add enough water to come ¾ the way up the pot. Just barely covering the rabbits.
- Cover and place in 400 degree oven and cook for 1-2 hours or until tender.
- If not tender and the water has cooked way down, add a little more water.
- Turn the top of the pot to have a crack in it to allow some of the steam to release.
- When tender, remove from oven. Garnish with chopped green onions. Taste gravy for any additional seasoning, if needed.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.