HEAVENLY SWEET HUSH PUPPIESVegetable oil, for frying1 ¾ c. yellow cornmeal¾ c. flour2 t. baking…
MARCELLE BIENVENU’S FANTASTIC TOMATO BREAD PUDDING
2 T. butter
3 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 t. salt, divided
1 t. black pepper divided
8 T. olive oil, divided
10 c. cubed French or Italian bread
2 c. whole milk
1 c. shredded fontina cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. chopped fresh basil
2 T. chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven 400.
- Coat 3 qt. shallow baking dish with butter. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, toss tomato with 1 t. salt, ½ t. pepper and 2 T. olive oil.
- Arrange tomato in one layer on prepared baking sheet; roast until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Toss cubed bread with remaining olive oil and spread on baking sheet and bake until golden brown and let cool.
- Reduce oven to 350.
- In large bowl, whisk together milk, cream and eggs. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses, basil and oregano.
- Transfer bread cubes to prepared baking dish and pour egg mixture over bread.
- Add tomatoes, pushing them down into bread and custard.
- Bake until firm to the touch and bread is golden brown, 45-60 minutes.
- Serve warm.