WONDERFUL WATERMELON MINT ICED TEA1 watermelon (to make 2 c. of melon juice)2 mint tea…
Magnificent Lump Crabmeat and Brie Soup from The Dakota Restaurant in Covington, LA.
MAGNIFICENT LUMP CRABMEAT AND BRIE SOUP
FROM THE DAKOTA RESTAURANT
2 lbs. fresh LA blue crabs
2 ounces olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
2 bay leaves
2 ounces brandy
1 c. white wine
2 qts. Water
½ c. unsalted butter
¾ c. flour
2 qts. Heavy whipping cream
8 ozs. Brie cheese
1 t. white pepper
1 t. cayenne
1 t. salt
1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat
- With a meat mallet or hammer, crack open crab shells until meat is exposed.
- In 1 gallon stockpot, heat olive oil, add cracked crabs and saute 5 minutes.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves. Continue to saute for 5 minutes.
- Add brandy, white wine and 2 qts. of water. Bring to simmer over medium heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- Using a skinner, remove crab and vegetables from stock and discard.
- In small saute skillet, melt butter and blend in flour until smooth and creamy.
- Simmer over low heat for 1 minute.
- Add mixture to stock using a wire whisk until roux is dissolved.
- Add heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove outside rind from Brie and discard.
- Cut cheese into 1” cubes and add stock, stirring constantly until cheese melts completely.
- Season soup with white pepper, cayenne and salt.
- Strain soup through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Add jumbo crabmeat and serve.