1 lb. spicy bulk pork sausage
1 small onion, chopped
4 c. water
½ t. salt
1 c. quick-cooking grits
3 (4-oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 ½ c. shredded sharp cheese, divided
1 ½ c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
2 T. butter
Tabasco to taste
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1. Preheat oven 325.
2. In large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking it up into crumbles. Drain.
3. In saucepan, bring water and salt to boil.
4. Slowly add in grits. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook, covered until thickened, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add green chilies, ¾ c. of each cheese, butter and Tabasco. Stir until blended and melted.
7. Stir in eggs, then sausage mixture.
8. Place mixture in greased 13×9” baking dish.
9. Top with remaining cheeses and paprika.
10. Bake uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and set.
11. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
12. Garnish with cilantro or parsley.