Kale and Mushroom Flatbread
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 T. butter, room temperature
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 c. sliced shitake, cremini or button mushrooms (about 8 oz.)
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed really well and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) bunch of kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ c. chicken broth
- ⅓ c. dried cranberries, optional
- ⅓ c. roasted pine nuts, chopped, optional
- Any shape flatbread or store bought pizza crust
- In large skillet, heat butter and olive oil. Add mushrooms, leeks, shallot and salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft.
- Add kale and cook until wilted.
- Add broth and cranberries and pine nuts. Bring to boil and scrape brown bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Taste for seasoning.
- In food processor, combine the gorgonzola and cream cheese, sour cream, honey, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth.
- Heat your flatbread or pizza crust in oven or grill it.
- Spread the cheese layer on the crust. Spoon the kale filling on top.
- Cut into slices and serve.
*****You can change up the kale for spinach and use a variety of mushrooms as well as the cranberries and nuts.