FROZEN CHOCOLATE PEANUT COVERED BANANAS ON A STICK1 c. semisweet chocolate morsels4 medium firm bananas,…
GRILLED EGGPLANT PARMESAN WITH TOMATO MARINARA
2 (1 lb.) eggplants
¼ c. plus 3 T. olive oil
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1 large shallot
8 (10”) wooden skewers
2 pts. Cherry tomatoes
2 large garlic cloves, halved
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1 t. dried crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, cut into 20 slices
Grated fresh Pecorino-Romano cheese
Fresh basil leaves
- Cut eggplants crosswise into 20 slices about ¾” thick. Sprinkle sea salt on both sides.
- Place in 13×9” baking dish
- Whisk together ¼ c. oil, lemon juice and shallot.
- Pour mixture over eggplants, turning to coat.
- Marinate 1 hour. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 350-400 degrees.
- Thread tomatoes on skewers, brush with 1 T. olive oil.
- Grill for 6-8 minutes, turning once.
- Combine grilled tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, red pepper, 1 t. sea salt and remaining 2 T. olive oil in food processor. Pulse until a chunky sauce forms.
- Grill eggplant slices 5 minutes, turn once.
- Top each eggplant slice with 1 mozzarella cheese slice and grill another 5 minutes or until eggplant is tender and cheese begins to melt.
- Pour the tomato marinara in a serving dish.
- Top eggplants with the sauce and sprinkle with Pecorino-Romano cheese and basil leaves.
*These leftovers, heated up make great sandwiches. I like to add fresh baby spinach to this dish when making sandwiches or also in the original dish. I just plate the grilled eggplant on top of spinach and then the marinara. Excellent side dish or main vegan meal.