PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
FABULOUS LEMON ROASTED WHOLE CHICKEN
2 (4-5 lb.) whole chickens
Kosher salt, black pepper
8 sprigs fresh tarragon
6 garlic cloves
1 stick butter, melted
Bell pepper (one of each color-red, orange, yellow, green) seeded and cut into strips
2 onions, thick slices
1 (8-oz.) mushroom caps, sliced
¾ c. water
1 c. red wine
- Preheat oven 425.
- Zest two of the lemons, then cut lemons in half. Rub chickens with salt and pepper, inside and outside.
- Stuff the cavity of each chicken with ½ of the lemon, 2 sprigs of tarragon and 3 garlic cloves. Rub the lemon zest all over the outside of chickens.
- In roasting pan, spray with PAM and layer the bell peppers, mushrooms and onions in bottom of pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Mix with your hands and spread evenly.
- Place the chickens on top of the veggies.
- Cut remaining lemons into wedges and place along sides of chickens.
- Mix the wine and water and pour into the pan.
- Brush the outside of chickens with melted butter, sprinkle with paprika and lay 2 sprigs of tarragon on each chicken.
- Roast until golden brown or until instant thermometer inserted into center of thigh reads 165, about 1 hour in oven.
- Remove from oven, lift chickens out and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
- With pan juices you can skim off excess fat and thicken the gravy with cornstarch, flour or Wondra.