Alice's Shrimp and Pasta Casserole Save Print Recipe By: Alice Morrow Ingredients ½…
¼ c. kosher salt
1 qt. milk
6 T. butter, cut into pieces
6 T. four
1 lb. penne pasta, or your favorite
2 (8-oz.) pkgs. shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
½ c. finely minced Vidalia onion
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco, to taste
Kosher salt/black pepper
2 c. panko bread crumbs
1 T. olive oil
2 (7-oz.) jars diced pimiento, drained
2 (2.52-oz.) pkgs. fully cooked bacon, diced
Chopped fresh chives, garnish
1. Preheat broiler with oven rack 9-10 inches from heat.
2. Bring ¼ c. kosher salt and 4 qt. of water to boil.
3. Microwave milk in glass measuring cup on HIGH for 3 minutes.
4. While milk is heating, melt butter in 12” cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, add flour and whisk constantly and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high and bring to low boil, whisking often.
7. Add pasta to boiling water and cook only 8 minutes (it will finish cooking in the remaining process.)
8. Continue to cook sauce, whisking often for 5-6 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, onion, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco and salt/pepper, to taste. Cover.
10. Stir together panko and olive oil.
11. Drain pasta and fold into cheese sauce.
12. Stir in pimiento and bacon. Taste for seasoning.
13. Sprinkle with panko mixture.
14. Broil 1-2 minutes or until crumbs are golden.
15. Garnish with chopped chives.