HEAVENLY SWEET HUSH PUPPIESVegetable oil, for frying1 ¾ c. yellow cornmeal¾ c. flour2 t. baking…
DOWN SOUTH PIMIENTO MAC AND CHEESE
¼ c. kosher salt
1 qt. milk
6 T. butter, cut into pieces
6 T. four
1 lb. penne pasta, or your favorite
2 (8-oz.) pkgs. shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
½ c. finely minced Vidalia onion
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco, to taste
Kosher salt/black pepper
2 c. panko bread crumbs
1 T. olive oil
2 (7-oz.) jars diced pimiento, drained
2 (2.52-oz.) pkgs. fully cooked bacon, diced
Chopped fresh chives, garnish
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 9-10 inches from heat.
- Bring ¼ c. kosher salt and 4 qt. of water to boil.
- Microwave milk in glass measuring cup on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- While milk is heating, melt butter in 12” cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add flour and whisk constantly and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high and bring to low boil, whisking often.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook only 8 minutes (it will finish cooking in the remaining process.)
- Continue to cook sauce, whisking often for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, onion, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco and salt/pepper, to taste. Cover.
- Stir together panko and olive oil.
- Drain pasta and fold into cheese sauce.
- Stir in pimiento and bacon. Taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with panko mixture.
- Broil 1-2 minutes or until crumbs are golden.
- Garnish with chopped chives.