3 lbs. lean chuck roast, cut into 2” pieces
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 large Vidalia onion, cut into 1” pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1” pieces
3 T. tomato paste
1 T. chipotle chili powder
1 T. smoked paprika
1 T. ground cumin
1 T. minced garlic
1 t. dried oregano
1 c. beef broth
1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
Hot cooked rice or noodles, optional
1. Pt beef dry with paper towel.
2. Heat 1 T. oil in large skillet.
3. Add beef in batches, cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until browned on all sides.
4. Place in CROCK POT.
5. Return skillet to medium heat.
6. Add remaining oil.
7. Add onion and cook until softened.
8. Add bell peppers and cook another 1-2 minutes.
9. Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano.
10. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
11. Place mixture in CROCK POT.
12. Return skillet to medium heat.
13. Add broth, stirring and scraping up any browned bits.
14. Pour over beef in CROCK POT.
15. Stir in tomatoes.
16. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
17. Skim fat from sauce.
18. Taste for seasoning and serve over rice or noodles.