HEAVENLY SWEET HUSH PUPPIESVegetable oil, for frying1 ¾ c. yellow cornmeal¾ c. flour2 t. baking…
4-6 fresh chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on (about 2 lbs.)
Salt, black pepper
1 pint container of cherry tomatoes
3 T. minced garlic
½ c. fresh chopped basil
- Preheat oven 450.
- Pat chicken completely dry and season all sides with salt and pepper.
- In large cast iron skillet or oven-safe skillet, drizzle bottom with olive oil and place over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add chicken to skillet, skin-side down and evenly spaced.
- Cook until fat is rendered and skin is crispy and golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Place the skillet in oven and cook, with chicken remaining skin side down, for another 12 minutes.
- Using tongs flip chicken and cook another 7-8 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and transfer chicken to paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- While chicken is cooking, take a large saute pan and drizzle olive oil in bottom and place over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir to coat with oil.
- Cook, stirring tomatoes occasionally, until they blister or pop, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in most of the basil.
- Divide chicken between plates, top with blistered tomatoes and garnish with remaining fresh basil.
*I like to double or triple the blistered tomato mixture. It is also good on steak, fish, chicken breasts or even on pasta!