KILLER CHICKEN AND WHITE BEAN CHILI2 (15-oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained4 c. chicken…
|Beer and Cheddar Soup|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
Beer and Cheddar Soup
- 1 ½ c. whole milk
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. canola oil
- 4 T. butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 c. Pilsner-style beer
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (use a good brand of cheese) Save a little for garnish
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Butter popped popcorn, garnish
- In saucepan, combine milk and broth. Bring to simmer, and then lower just to keep mixture warm.
- In soup pot, add oil and butter. Once butter is melted, add carrots, celery, onion, fennel, garlic and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook stirring constantly, with wooden spoon, for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour milk-broth mixture, whisking constantly to avoid lumps forming.
- Whisk in beer and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Watch that mixture simmers and does not boil.
- Remove bay leaf and add Worcestershire sauce. While stirring constantly, add cheese and seasonings.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
*****Ladle soup into a serving bowl. When serving individual bowls, top with a little extra cheese. For fun, add some pop corn to garnish.