SOPHISTICATED CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS1 ¼ c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies1 c. powdered sugar2/3 c. toasted…
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
SAVORY SWEET POTATO AND SHRIMP SOUP
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, rough chop
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, rough chop
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 ½ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 lbs. small shrimp or crawfish, optional
- ½ t. dried basil
- ½ t. dried oregano
- ½ t. dried thyme
- ½ c. flour
- 2 qts. Chicken stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Salt, black pepper and Tabasco to taste
- Crème fraiche or sour cream for garnish, optional
- Saute bacon in large soup pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- To the drippings, add onion, carrots, celery, shallot, garlic, apples, sweet potatoes. Saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme and shrimp or crawfish (if you don’t want any just omit it). Saute until shrimp turn pink.
- Add flour and stir until well-mixed and moistened.
- Add stock and stir until soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ingredients are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- With hand held immersion blender or placing in food processor, puree soup.
- Stir in cream and season to taste. Keep over low heat and do not boil.
- Serve and garnish with crème fraiche or sour cream.
*****You can crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top if you like.