SOPHISTICATED CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS1 ¼ c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies1 c. powdered sugar2/3 c. toasted…
|Alice's Beef Stew|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
Alice's Beef Stew
- 1-3 lbs. good stew meat (sometimes I mix beef and pork cubes for added flavor)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 (10-oz.) can Ro-tel
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. bag of baby carrots or cut up carrots
- 1 lb. bag of small red or Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cans of white shoe peg corn
- 1 (8-oz.) fresh sliced mushrooms
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 pkgs. of dry Beef Stew seasoning mix
- Salt, red/black pepper
- 1 c. red wine, optional
- Olive oil
- Hot Rice or Egg Noodles
- Chopped green onions
- In large pot, pour enough olive oil to coat bottom of pot. Season meat and sprinkle with flour.
- Place in hot oil and brown. Sprinkle a little more flour after the first stirring of the meat.
- After browning meat, add onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, Ro-tel, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Saute for about 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Add the bouillon cubes, carrots, potatoes, corn and beef stew seasoning mix. Blend well.
- Add about 2 quarts of water, enough to cover everything about an inch or two above. You can add wine at this point if you like.
- Cover and let come to a boil. Then remove cover and let simmer for 1 hour or until tender and thickened. Add more water if necessary. Also taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with green onions, as you serve over hot rice or egg noodles.
*****This can all be done in a crock pot. The only extra step you must do before dumping in crock pot is to brown the meat. You can also add other veggies that you like. A nice presentation is to serve in a hollowed out bread bowl. Great comfort food. Serve with a great green salad or cole slaw and nice hot cornbread. Freezes well.