2 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
½ t. salt
¼ c. plus 1 T. cold butter, diced
1/3 c. ice water
3-4 medium bananas
VANILLA PASTRY CREAM, recipe below
2 c. half and half
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
2 egg yolks
2 t. vanilla
½ c. plus 3 T. sugar
¼ c. flour
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. butter, softened
FOSTER SAUCE, recipe below
1/3 c. plus 1 T. heavy whipping cream
3 T. dark rum
1 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar
¼ c. water
4 T. butter, softened
¼ t. sea salt
- In bowl of food processor, add flour, sugar and salt, pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- With processor running, add water in slow steady stream.
- Process until mixture comes together.
- Remove from processor and shape into a flat disk on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let dough come to room temp, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 350. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼” thickness.
- Fit dough in bottom and up sides of 9” deep-dish pie plate. Trim and crimp as desired.
- Prick dough with fork and line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- VANILLA PASTRY CREAM: In medium saucepan, bring half and half and vanilla seeds to a simmer. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, vanilla and sugar. Add flour cornstarch to egg mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Gradually whisk hot half and half mixture into egg mixture. Transfer mixture to saucepan. Cool over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils for 1 minute and thickens. Remove from heat, stir in butter until blended.
- Strain mixture through fine-mesh sieve into bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Can keep in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Spread VANILLA PASTRY CREAM into prepared crust, smoothing the surface.
- Peel and slice bananas crosswise ¼” thick. Layer bananas in a shingle fashion over pastry cream. Drizzle with FOSTER SAUCE. Serve immediately.
- FOSTER CREAM: In small bowl, whisk together cream, rum and vanilla. Set aside.
- In saucepan, bring sugar and ¼ c. water to boil, whisking constantly.
- Once mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and cook, without whisking, until mixture registers 350 degrees on instant-read candy thermometer, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and whisk in butter until melted.
- Whisk in salt and cream mixture until smooth. Let cool for 1 hour. Whisk before serving.