Stuffed Piquante Peppers Save Print Recipe By: Alice Morrow Ingredients Assorted colors of…
1 c. sugar
2 ½ c. flour
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
¼ t. baking powder
12 T. butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 t. meringue powder
1 (lb.) box powdered sugar
6 T. water
Food coloring, as desired
- COOKIES: Put sugar in food processor and pulse until finely grinded. Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and1/2 t. salt and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until incorporated into flour and mixture is sandy.
- Add egg and vanilla and pulse until mixture comes together in big clumps.
- Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead a few times to form a ball.
- Divide dough in half, pat into 2 discs about ¼” thick, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Let dough sit at room temperature to make rolling easier. Put one disc between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out to 1/8” thick. Repeat with second disc.
- Cut with desired cookie cutters and arrange on baking sheets about 2” apart.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet until firm enough to transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Gently gather any scraps into a ball and press into another disc. Chill disc until firm enough to roll and cut out as many cookies as possible.
- ICING: Sift the meringue powder and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add 6 T. of water. Beat with electric mixer until glossy and soft peaks form. Depending on how many different colors of icing you need, divide the icing and add the food coloring to each batch to achieve the color you desire.
- Decorate cookies as desired. Store in airtight containers at room temperature for at least 3 days. Freeze well.
*You can change up shapes and icing colors for various holidays.