|Stuffed Chicken Breasts Layered on Roma tomatoes and Vidalia Onions|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2-4 stuffed chicken breasts (These are stuffed with a seafood blend. I purchased these at Benny’s Big Star in Opelousas. You can get them stuffed with various options and most specialty meat and large grocery stores have them. You can also ask the butcher to stuff them for you.)
- ½ container of (16-oz.) chopped onion mix
- 10-12 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large Vidalia onions, sliced
- 1 (8-oz.) container pico de gallo or 1 can Rotel
- Olive oil
- Salt, red/black pepper, garlic powder and paprika
- Fresh parsley or green onions, chopped for garnish, optional
- Spray a casserole dish with PAM.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, red/black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- In bottom of casserole dish, spread the chopped onion mix on bottom.
- Layer with Vidalia onions. Sprinkle a little salt and black pepper.
- Layer the Roma tomato quarters to cover the whole area. Also season.
- Lay the seasoned chicken breasts on top of the tomato/onion mixture.
- Sprinkle the pico de gallo over the chicken breasts. It does not have to be heavy.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of whole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 375 for 1-1 ½ hours. This will depend on size of chicken breasts. These I had were quite large.
- Remove foil and turn heat up to 400 and let the tops brown. Garnish with chopped parsley and green onions.
*****This dish is wonderful with scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes or egg noodles. With the leftover chicken, smothered onions and tomatoes, make great fajitias or mix with pasta or orzo pasta rice, etc.