TASTY GALETTE DE TOMATE2 ½ c. flour1 T. sugarSalt/black pepper1 c. cold butter, cut into…
SOUTHWESTERN QUINOA SALAD
Kosher salt, black pepper
1 ½ t. ground cumin
1 ½ t. ground coriander
4 T. good quality olive oil
1 ½ c. red quinoa, rinsed if not pre-rinsed
1 (15 ½ oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/3 c. zucchini, cut into small dice
1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 c. fresh corn kernels, microwaved for a few seconds
½ c. red bell pepper, seeded and in small dice
1 bunch green onions, chopped
¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, some sprigs for garnish
¼ c. fresh orange juice
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. minced garlic
1 T. honey
¼ t. Asian chili-garlic paste
½ c. toasted pine nuts
- In 3 qt. saucepan, heat 1 T. olive oil over medium heat. Combine salt, pepper, cumin and coriander and stir into oil and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the quinoa, stir again and add 2 c. water. Bring to boil, reduce to low simmer, cover and cook until quinoa has absorbed all the water. The germ will separated from the seed and look like a ring, about 20 minutes. If there is a little water left, bring back to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes more to boil off water. Remove pot from heat and stir once.
- Put a folded paper towel over the quinoa land cover with pot lid for 5 minutes. Uncover, discard paper towel and transfer quinoa to a large, shallow mixing bowl or large baking sheet where it can cool quickly. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, combine beans, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, peppers, green onions, cilantro or parsley, orange juice and 3 T. olive oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, chili-garlic paste and ½ t. salt. Stir well and let sit while quinoa cools, stirring occasionally.
- Combine black bean salad with cooled quinoa and mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning.
- To serve, garnish with pine nuts and cilantro or parsley sprigs. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Can be made a day ahead.