Southern Grits and Grillades
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3 lbs. round steak cut into strips or squares (small pieces)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 3 T. flour for dusting
- 2 c. flour for roux
- ½ pt. beef stock
- 1 T. salt
- 1 T. red pepper
- 1 T. black pepper
- 1 t. white pepper
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 (14-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Grits (can be instant or regular)
- Season meat with salt, red/black/white pepper and dust with flour.
- In heavy Dutch oven or large skillet, add oil and place on high. Once oil is hot, brown meat on both sides, then remove.
- Bring oil back to smoking stage, whisk in flour for the roux. Cook to a medium brown color.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add ½ pt. of water or beef stock, onions, bell peppers and seasoning of salt, red/black/white pepper.
- Let cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add meat, mix well and cover. Cook under a very low fire. Stir every 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add chopped onion tops and parsley. Serve over hot grits.