PATRIOTIC PARFAITSPUDDING:1 ½ c. milk3 T. cornstarch2 egg yolks1 c. half and halfPinch of salt½…
SEA SCALLOPS ALLA CAPRESE
2 lbs. mixed heirloom tomatoes
24 fresh basil leaves
3 medium red onions, cut into 1” thick slices
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
6-8 T. extra virgin olive oil
12 giant diver scallops
Coarse sea salt
1-2 lemons cut in half
- Using a flat cast-iron griddle or large cast-iron pan, heat on a gas grill.
- Slice tomatoes in nice shapes, (try to create different cuts; leave small ones whole) and lay them on a platter.
- Tear the basil leaves over the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Season onion slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Place them on the hot griddle, cook for 7-10 minutes, without moving them. You want a charred side. Using tongs, carefully turn slices over and cook on other side 7-10 minutes until charred or softened.
- Transfer onions to plate and let cool slightly. Separate onion slices into rings and place over tomatoes. Drizzle everything with olive oil.
- While onions are cooking, carve a checkerboard pattern about ¼” deep into one side of each scallop. Season with salt and pepper and place in bowl and cover with olive oil to gently cover them.
- Place scallops on griddle, design side down and cook 5-7 minutes, unmoved, almost cooked—they should be opaque almost all the way through.
- Flip over and sear for 30 seconds, remove and arrange over the tomatoes, etc.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and more pepper if needed. Squeeze lemon juice over the top.
*Scoring the scallops before grilling makes them open up like a flower. Cook the scallop 90 percent on first side, very well seared, quick flip and finish on the other side.