Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3-6 fresh beets, depending on size
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepp
- Wash and cut ends off beets. Place in foil lined disposable pans.
- Pour olive oil on each one and season with salt and black pepper. Enclose in the foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until you can insert knife easily through it.
- Remove from oven, open foil and let cool.
- Meanwhile in large skillet, drizzle little olive oil in pan.
- Saute the red onion and pepper for 3 minutes (want it crispy and not too wilted.)
- Add 2-3 T. of sugar or honey and about ⅓ c. vinegar.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Peel beets and either cut into slices or dice shape.
- Mix beets into peppers and onions. The juice that is in the pan from roasting beets, pour into your skillet.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve warm.
*****Some people like to serve chopped boiled eggs with this. You can store and later serve over fresh spinach as a salad topped with feta cheese