Red Wine Honey Balsamic Vinegar Poached Pears and Figs with Goat Cheese
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 bottles of inexpensive but nice red wine
- 1 (14-oz.) jar of Honey
- 1 large bottle of Wishbone Balsamic Vinegarette
- 4-6 medium sized fresh pears
- 2-3 dozen fresh figs
- Nice selection of goat cheese
- In large pot, pour in wine, honey and vinegarette.
- Mix well.
- Place pears in mixture. Let simmer until pears are very tender and sauce has reduced and become somewhat thicker. I usually let them stew for 1-2 hours.
- Then place the figs in and let simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the fruit from the sauce. You may want to put pears and figs in separate containers. The heavier pear will squash the figs.
- Pour the sauce into another container.
- You can refrigerate all of these until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, place the pears in a bowl, the figs in a bowl, place a nice selection of goat cheese or your favorite mild cheese on a serving tray along with some nice crackers. Also put some of the sauce in another bowl.
- Take cracker and place the cheese on it, then a slice of pear, fig and drizzle sauce on top. So wonderful. You can also reheat if you like to serve warm.
*****You can take crescent rolls and in each wedge spread cheese and top with rest of ingredients except sauce and roll up. You can also keep the crescent rolls in one big square and place ingredients and roll up, refrigerate, then cut into pinwheels. Bake until golden brown and serve with the sauce on the side to dip in.