Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 8-12 pencil thin asparagus, with tough ends snapped off, rinsed
- 1 bottle Italian dressing or your favorite vinegarette
- ½ (16-oz.) pkg. frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed
- ¼ c. butter, melted
- ¼-1/2 c. finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Prepare asparagus and place in plastic zip loc bag with dressing and add salt and black pepper and garlic powder to taste. Let sit in marinade overnite or even several days or just a few hours.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven 375.
- Unwrap phyllo dough and cut stack in half lengthwise. Reserve the other stack for later use.
- Cover dough with damp towel to keep it from drying out.
- Take 1 sheet of dough and brush lightly with some melted butter.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place 3-4 asparagus on short end of sheet. Roll up, jelly-roll style.
- Place each piece, seam side down, on baking sheet.
- Brush with more butter and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Repeat with rest of asparagus.
- Place in oven and bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
*****I usually marinate extra asparagus to use later in week or just to have on hand. I grill them or place them in salads. Just put them where you like. Since they have been marinating you really don’t have to cook them unless you want them warm.