ASIAN EGG-NOODLE FRITTATA2 (3-oz.) pkg. Oriental-flavor ramen noodles, broken8 eggs, lightly beaten½ c. canned coconut…
KICKED UP SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH BACON AND CRABMEAT
8 thick slices, hickory smoked bacon strips, chopped
2 medium Vidalia onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 (16-oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
1 lb. smoked ham hocks
2 bay leaves
4 (26-oz.) cartons chicken stock
1 c. heavy cream
Salt, black pepper to taste
1 lb. lump crabmeat, drained and picked over
- In large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To the drippings add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peas, ham hocks, bay leaves and stock.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1-2 hours or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves, remove ham hocks from soup. When cool enough to handle, remove met from bones and cut into small cubes, discard bones.
- Puree soup with hand held immersion blender.
- Stir in cream and ham. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat through.
- In a small bowl, combine the crabmeat with the bacon and serve with soup.