COOKIES:1 c. sugar2 ½ c. flour1 t. pumpkin pie spice¼ t. baking powderSalt12 T. butter,…
It's Carnival Time Cookies
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- ½ t. almond extract
- 1 (10-15 oz.) pkg. Betty Crocker or other brand Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 small box of food coloring
- Whisk melted butter, egg and extract in a bowl until fluffy.
- Stir in cookie mix and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and place in separate bowls.
- To first bowl: add 8 drops blue and 8 drops of red food coloring.
- To second bowl: add 16 drops of green food coloring.
- To third bowl: add 8 drops yellow and 2 drops of red food coloring.
- Blend coloring well into each ball of dough, adding about 1 t. of water to each bowl to help with the mixing.
- Place the purple dough ball between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Roll into 9x12” rectangle. Repeat process with each other ball.
- Place all 3 sheets in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and work quickly, carefully removing each sheet of dough from paper. Stack all three layers on one sheet of wax paper, placing gold on bottom.
- Starting on one short end, roll dough carefully all the way to other end. Wrap in wax paper and place in freezer until hard enough to slice.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven 350. Work quickly with sharp knife, cut dough into ¼” slices.
- Spray baking sheet with PAM. Place cookies on baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden.
- Remove from heat. Cool 1 minute and transfer to wire racks.
*****Makes about 3 dozen cookies.