4-6 lettuce leaves8 c. mixed broccoli, broccoflower(lighter green broccoli) and cauliflower heads, blanched1 c. baby…
Here is the recipe for the Resurrection Cookies! It starts the Saturday before Easter Sunday if you want to do this with our family!
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- The Evening Before Easter, Gather the Following:
- 1 c. whole pecans
- 1 t. vinegar
- 3 egg whites, pinch of salt
- 1 c. sugar
- Ziploc bag
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 300. THIS IS IMPORTANT—DO NOT WAIT UNTIL LATER TO HEAT OVEN!
- Place pecans in Ziploc bag and let children beat with wooden spoon and break into small pieces. EXPLAIN THAT AFTER JESUS WAS ARRESTED, HE WAS BEATEN BY THE ROMAN SOLDIERS!
- Read: John 19:1-3
- Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 t. of vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- EXPALIN THAT WHEN JESUS WAS THIRSTY ON THE CROSS, HE WAS GIVEN VINEGAR TO DRINK.
- Read: John 19:28-30
- Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.
- EXPLAIN THAT JESUS GAVE HIS LIFE TO GIVE US LIFE.
- Read: John 10:10-11
- Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- EXPALIN THAT THIS REPRESENTS THE SALTY TEARS SHED BY JESUS’ FOLLOWERS AND THE BITTERNESS OF OUR OWN SIN!
- Read: Luke 23:27
- So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing.
- Add 1 c. sugar.
- EXPALIN THAT THE SWEETEST PART OF THE STORY IS THAT JESUS DIED BECAUSE HE LOVES US. HE WANTS US TO KNOW AND BELONG TO HIM.
- Read Psalms: 34:8 and John 3:16
- Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
- EXPALIN THAT THE COLOR WHITE REPRESENTS THE PURITY IN GOD’S EYES OF THOSE SINS THAT HAVE BEEN CLEANSED BY JESUS.
- Read ISA. 1:18 and John 3:1-3
- Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- EXPLAIN THAT EACH MOUND REPRESENTS THE ROCK TOMB WHERE JESUS’ BODY WAS LAID.
- Read: Matthew 27:57-60
- Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- EXPLAIN THAT JESUS’ TOMB WAS SEALED.
- Read Matthew 27:65-66
- NOW GO TO BED!
- EXPLAIN THAT THEY MAY FEEL SAD TO LEAVE THE COOKIES IN THE OVEN OVERNIGHT. JESUS’ FOLLOWERS WERE IN DESPAIR WHEN THE TOMB WAS SEALED.
- Read John 16:20 and 22
- On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow!
- EXPLAIN ON THE FIRST EASTER, JESUS’ FOLLOWERS WERE AMAZED TO FIND THE TOMB OPEN AND EMPTY!
- Read Matthew 28: 1-9