4-6 lettuce leaves8 c. mixed broccoli, broccoflower(lighter green broccoli) and cauliflower heads, blanched1 c. baby…
|Here is the recipe for the Resurrection Cookies! It starts the Saturday before Easter Sunday if you want to do this with our family!|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- The Evening Before Easter, Gather the Following:
- 1 c. whole pecans
- 1 t. vinegar
- 3 egg whites, pinch of salt
- 1 c. sugar
- Ziploc bag
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 300. THIS IS IMPORTANT—DO NOT WAIT UNTIL LATER TO HEAT OVEN!
- Place pecans in Ziploc bag and let children beat with wooden spoon and break into small pieces. EXPLAIN THAT AFTER JESUS WAS ARRESTED, HE WAS BEATEN BY THE ROMAN SOLDIERS!
- Read: John 19:1-3
- Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 t. of vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- EXPALIN THAT WHEN JESUS WAS THIRSTY ON THE CROSS, HE WAS GIVEN VINEGAR TO DRINK.
- Read: John 19:28-30
- Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.
- EXPLAIN THAT JESUS GAVE HIS LIFE TO GIVE US LIFE.
- Read: John 10:10-11
- Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- EXPALIN THAT THIS REPRESENTS THE SALTY TEARS SHED BY JESUS’ FOLLOWERS AND THE BITTERNESS OF OUR OWN SIN!
- Read: Luke 23:27
- So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing.
- Add 1 c. sugar.
- EXPALIN THAT THE SWEETEST PART OF THE STORY IS THAT JESUS DIED BECAUSE HE LOVES US. HE WANTS US TO KNOW AND BELONG TO HIM.
- Read Psalms: 34:8 and John 3:16
- Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
- EXPALIN THAT THE COLOR WHITE REPRESENTS THE PURITY IN GOD’S EYES OF THOSE SINS THAT HAVE BEEN CLEANSED BY JESUS.
- Read ISA. 1:18 and John 3:1-3
- Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- EXPLAIN THAT EACH MOUND REPRESENTS THE ROCK TOMB WHERE JESUS’ BODY WAS LAID.
- Read: Matthew 27:57-60
- Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- EXPLAIN THAT JESUS’ TOMB WAS SEALED.
- Read Matthew 27:65-66
- NOW GO TO BED!
- EXPLAIN THAT THEY MAY FEEL SAD TO LEAVE THE COOKIES IN THE OVEN OVERNIGHT. JESUS’ FOLLOWERS WERE IN DESPAIR WHEN THE TOMB WAS SEALED.
- Read John 16:20 and 22
- On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow!
- EXPLAIN ON THE FIRST EASTER, JESUS’ FOLLOWERS WERE AMAZED TO FIND THE TOMB OPEN AND EMPTY!
- Read Matthew 28: 1-9